Dubbel Mono

dinsdag, november 12, 2002

 
David Grubbs herinnert zich Will Oldham
Iemand van de Oldham-mailinglist dook het fragment op.
Wire Issue:218, April 2002
Blind Test (Invisible Jukebox)with David Grubbs
They play Palace Brothers
Idle Hands...Grubbs: (After 3 seconds) It's Will Oldham, first song on the first Palace record. "Idle hands are the devil's playthings". I haven't heard this in a long time. If something like that (pointing to the Harry Smith "Anthology") was important to Will, I would say he played his hands closely- I don't think he would claim that as an influence. The music these people were all going bananas about at the time was The Mekons, starting with "Fear and Whiskey" in the mid-80s. We were all precocious little punk rockers, and Will wasn't interested in that- he was an actor. However, when Slint started, the buzz was that Will wanted to be the singer. I remember him sitting there with a homemaid Samhain baseball cap on, and nobody took him up on his offer. A couple of years later when he started Palace Brothers, people thought, how could Slint have missed that opportunity? I met him when I was 15
What did your parents think about all this?
They were a little.... concerned (laughs). First time I played with Will was "Arise, Therefore", which I played piano on. It's one of my favourite records of those I've been involved in.
|| 10:53 a.m.