Dubbel Mono

maandag, oktober 07, 2002

 
Conservative Pop Music
. Rock and roll, which has dominated pop music since the 1950s, is inexorably associated with liberalism in the minds of many conservatives. But in fact, there have been a significant number of songs on the pop charts during the rock era that are explicitly conservative. I have compiled a list of these conservative classics.
Before listing my top selections, I should explain the criteria on which I based my choices. First, I based them solely on the conservatism of the lyrics. A song had to have an explicitly conservative theme, although just a single line may represent it. I looked particularly for those embodying religious or patriotic themes, as these are unambiguously conservative values.
Second, I paid no attention to the politics of the performer. There are a number of good conservatives, such as Ted Nugent and even Walter Brennan, who have had hit songs over the years. But unless their songs had an explicitly conservative theme, I did not include them. Conversely, if some outspoken liberal recorded a song with explicitly conservative lyrics, I still included it.
[...]
2. The Beatles, “Revolution”
I remember when I was in college, Young Americans for Freedom had a poster printed with the lyrics of this song on it. The reason is that it is fundamentally anti-revolution. At a time when rebellious youth around the world were shutting down college campuses with often-violent demonstrations, it is surprising that John Lennon and Paul McCartney would write lines like these:

We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don’t you know you can count me out.

[via Juul]
|| 12:25 p.m.